How to download and crack a Dedicated server for Counter-Strike (Windows)

aTr

FS Member
How to download and crack a Dedicated server for Counter-Strike (Windows)

header

This guide will lead you through all downloading, installing and cracking the dedicated server. All downloads in the guide will have direct links and will be updated. In the end, you will get a cracked Garry's Mod Dedicated server ready for clients to play with both legit and blank account support.

header

In order to download the dedicated server, first we need to download the tool named hldsupdatetool.exe from Steam's official site.

With this, we can set up a dedicated server, which doesn't requires Steam to run in order to run the server. With this tutorial, you will be able to create a server which lets non-steam/cracked Steam players connect to join your server. You can do so by installing revEmu into your server.

The REVOLUTiON Emulator (shortly known as revEmu), provides you with the ability to host a cracked dedicated/listen server for both HL and SRC engines without using anyother patch.

revEmu clients will get SteamID's generated from their HardwareID, while cracked and legit Steam users will get their own SteamID bound to their account. This way there is a very few possibility that the revEmu client's SteamID is changed (only when a hardware is changed on the clients machine).

In order to proceed, please download the following links:

header

After you've downloaded the setup, open "hldsupdatetool.exe". After that you will see this:

hldsut_1.png

Click "Next" and now you will see this:

hldsut_2.png

Before continuing, you should know that you need to agree with it, so you can install and download dedicated server. We want to download the dedicated server so we will agree all agreements. Now click "I agree". Installer will now ask us our location to install it.

hldsut_3.png

Now choose the location to where to install the dedicated server files, after set, press "Next" button.

Remember, you can install it anywhere. In C:\Servers, in D:\Servers, in C:\HLDS. Anywhere you want.

hldsut_4.png

Press "Next" to install the dedicated server tools.

hldsut_5.png

Now select the region where is your server from the list below.

hldsut_6.png

Press "Next" to continue.

hldsut_7.png

And now the setup is finished! Press "Finish" to exit the setup.

header

Now as the setup is finished, go to the folder where hldsupdatetool is installed and create a shortcut for hldsupdatetool.exe.

hldsupdate_1.png

Rename it to something like Update CS.

hldsupdate_2.png

Now right-click on the Update CS shortcut, then click Properties.

At the Shortcut tab, at the target, add -command update -game cstrike -dir hlds after the HldsUpdateTool.exe, as shown in the picture.

hldsupdate_3.png

When it's done, press OK. The create a new folder, called hlds. Else if you start the shortcut and the folder isn't created, it crashes HLDSUpdateTool.

hldsupdate_4.png

After that is done, start the shortcut.

hldsupdate_5.png

Here you can see that the HLDSUpdateTool downloads the files for the dedicated server.

hldsupdate_7.png

And it's done downloading. If the window disappears, it means that it's done downloading.

header

Now go to your hlds folder.

hlds_cs_1.png

Now create a shortcut for hlds.exe.

hlds_cs_2.png

Rename it to something like Counter-Strike, or Conter-Strike Dedicated Server, or anything you like.

hlds_cs_3.png

Right click on the new shortcut, and click on Properties.

At the Shortcut tab, add -game cstrike -console +map de_dust2 after the hlds.exe, as shown in the image. You can also write your own map instead of de_dust2. We start it in the console mode. because it uses less performance. But if you want the old way, remove the -console parameter from the shortcut.

hlds_cs_5.png

After it's done, click on OK.

Now create new folder called steam in the current folder.

hlds_cs_4.png

Now extract the files from the steamdlls.rar archive which you've already downloaded from the Preparation section to the newly created steam folder.

hlds_cs_8.png

There is one thing left undone for the dedicated server. Go to your cstrike folder, and open the server.cfg file.

servercfg.png

Remove the map de_dust line from the config. Else if you start the server, it will start the de_dust map and then your map specified from the shortcut, which will result freezing and/or crashing the server.

Now we're done with this part, let's move on to the next one.

header

The dedicated server is finished, and it can already be started, but not just yet. We want to let cracked players join it, don't we? So it's time for cracking the server. For that, we will use revEmu. We downloaded it earlier ago, and now it's time to install it.

Extract the contents of the downloaded revEmu archive into the HLDS folder, where hlds.exe is located. which are steam.dll and steamclient.dll. If it asks you to replace the files, select Yes.

hlds_cs_6.png

Now this is done, let's move on.

header

As the installation is ready, now we configure RevEmu to work properly. Open the rev.ini file from the server's root. Remove everything from that file and paste this into the editor:

Code:
[Emulator]

#Logging=True
   SteamDll = Steam\steam.dll
   SteamClient = True

[Log]
   FileSystem=False
   Account=False
   UserID=False

[steamclient]
 Logging=False
 ClientDll = Steam\SteamClient.dll

[GameServer]
 # GameServer policy rules
 AllowOldRev=False
 AllowUnknown=False
 AllowCrackedSteam=True
 AllowLegitSteam=True
If you wish to allow old RevEmu clients (from v9.63 to 9.73), change AllowOldRev=False to AllowOldRev=True.

revEmu v9.62 and below will be rejected nevertheless.

If you wish to allow unknown clients (ex. SteamEmu), change AllowUnknown=False to AllowUnknown=True.

It is best to not enable them, because they won't get proper steamID registration from revEmu.

Now it should look like this:

hlds_cs_7.png

header

And now, your work here is done! You have a working cracked Counter-Strike 1.6 dedicated server, so why not calling your friends to join it?

hlds_cs_9.png

Feel free to ask about anything about this tutorial.

header

• If you start the server with +map or use map in the console without the +map parameter, do not use map again! Use changelevel after you used map once. Else it freezes/crashes the server. This will be fixed in the future version.
  • If you download another game from the same hlds directory, for example Condition Zero, or any other GoldSource games, remember to re-extract the steam.dll and steamclient.dll from the revEmu archive.
header

First of all, thanks for shmelle (Uncle D) for making such a great emulator, for both clients and server.

And also I would like to thank the current members of the REVOLUTiON developers, who are helping on developing revEmu!

I would like to point out that this step about creating "steam" folder and extracting "steamdlls.rar" is unnecessary. Server admins can use original steamclient.dll from "dedicated server.gcf" as of RC1. And I would recommend that.

The reason I prefer having a steam folder is that you can easily update it without have to extract and rename stuf... Just a simple double click on steam.exe :)

The reason I prefer using the engine's file as original module is that Linux admins don't have any Steam.exe to run, for example. They must use the one provided by the engine. Since you are just porting win32 code to lunix, it would be a good thing to use same things on both sides, to keep the consistency. And I know it is easier for server admins just to rename the file, rather than execute some 3rd party app (steam.exe)

Hey, it's a good tutorial... but i don't work 4 me!
I tried it with an other hl1 mod. The server is up (I can see it in the serverlist such as all other servers) but i can't connect coz my Client was "rejected" (That means the server is NOT cracked!) but there ARE server i can connect too! I thought if i make a server with this tutorial i can join it. but now i cant connect on my own server?! xD
Any one knows why?

Back