Building new system - Stuck on Graphics Choice

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reflector

Ok so I'm planning on either building (or getting made) a new gaming system. But... I'm Stuck between a choice of two different graphics sets (also the other parts are subject to change to suit them). Which is a better Option?

Features:

Intel Core 2 Duo E6850 3Ghz

ASUS P5N32-E-SLI nVidia 680i SLI

x2 Corsair 2GB (2x 1GB) DDR2 800 XMS (PC6400 - TWIN2X2048-6400C4DHX)

OCZ GameXStream 850W SLI Power Supply Unit

x2 EVGA nVidia Geforce 8800GT Superclocked 512mb - Running SLi

OR

Intel Core 2 Duo E6850 3Ghz

MSI P35-D3 Platinum Intel P35 Chipset Socket 775

x2 Corsair 2GB (2x 1GB) DDR2 800 XMS (PC6400 - TWIN2X2048-6400C4DHX)

THERMALTAKE Toughpower 850W Cable Management Four 12V Rails SLi CrossFire Ready

x2 HIS ATI Radeon HD 3870 512mb PCI Express - Running Crossfire

And just a side note. I plan to play the following games (frequently more than others)

Counterstrike: Source
Bioshock
Crysis
NFS Pro Street
UT 3
Oblivion

Thanks to those who reply. Oh and I live in Australia, so suggestions from newegg.com render useless

instead of a Nvidia 8800GT try a
Nvidia 8800 Ultra it is the Fastest Gaming Platform today

I'm Well aware that the 8800 Ultra is the fastest card. What you may not be aware of is I was planning on getting 2 8800GT's because even just one 8800 Ultra is more expensive. :confused:

Whats the point in getting 2 It won't do you any good Unless your double Monitoring. It's not like they work together

actually, that's not true: Depending on the SLI mode being used, each card is either rendering every other frame or rendering a piece of each frame.

Whats the point in getting 2 It won't do you any good Unless your double Monitoring. It's not like they work together

2? Because I'd like to future proof the machine as much as I can within my budget, and in doing so I have decided to go with the radeons. This is because the new line of Dual cores are comming out in a few months. The 680i motherboard will not be compatible with them, so essentially an sli system at the moment will be good, however it will become useless to upgrade in the near future :)

Good luck playing Crysis on full with that setup. Just a word of warning. Oh, and CrossFire is for d-bags. Get the 8800GTs, the GTXs aren't worth the extra money -- you'll be lucky if they raise your FPS in something like Bioshock or Crysis by even a single frame. Don't even get me started with the Ultras.

Oh, and why aren't you using a Striker Extreme? On top of that, if you really wanna "futureproof" (which doesn't really exist in the first place with gaming rigs), why only C2D? No Quad? You could pick out a Phenom from AMD which will probably cost less than an Intel C2D and it will run insanely faster. I think the cheaper Phenom runs at 2.2GHz on each core, non OC'd, stock cooling. OC to 2.6 with some nice cooling (not even water or anything flashy).

Enjoy! You could save some bucks if you go GT and AMD :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back