GRAMMAR WARS!

Ray

Im a Pro?
I can see that you all wanted this position badly but I still think starting from a moderator level is the best way to trial a person. Ray, your English is not bad except that you should refrain from using abbreviations if possible and remember where the capitals should be placed.

I just don't want to be your English teacher. :(

~Cheers~

Hello,
thanks for your advice! I wont use anymore abbreviations. Well I know my English isn't perfect but as German I think it is really good. Well. I will remember where the capitals should be placed ;).
Hope more people might endorse me.

Ray

Hello,
thanks for your advice! I wont use anymore abbreviations. Well I know my English isn't perfect but as German I think it is really good. Well. I will remember where the capitals should be placed ;).
Hope more people might endorse me.

Ray

You shouldn't say that because I can speak and write fluently in more than five languages.

no theres not... there is only 1

Sorry rushil but there's 2.
Bascailly theres 2 after a full stop and 1 after a comma (although it seems with Vbulletin that if you put 2 its shows as 1 regardless). Trust me on this, check it up if you have to.

Back on subject please.

Sorry rushil but there's 2.
Bascailly theres 2 after a full stop and 1 after a comma (although it seems with Vbulletin that if you put 2 its shows as 1 regardless). Trust me on this, check it up if you have to.

Back on subject please.

^ "Use one space (not two) after these punctuation marks [sc. period, question mark, exclamation point, or colon], as the practice of using two spaces is just another holdover from using a typewriter." Schriver, Karen A, Dynamics in Document Design, Wiley, NY, 1997, p. 502; "In typewritten (as distinct from typeset) material, it was customary to place two spaces after a colon, semicolon, full stop or other sentence closing punctuation. Programs for word processing and desktop publishing offer more sophisticated, variable spacing, so this practice of double spacing is now avoided because it can create distracting gaps on a page." AGPS Style Manual, 2002, 6th edition, p. 117.

Sorry but there's one... i just couldn't let that go so yeah... BACK ON TOPIC. Woot Ray...

But they arnt saying you CANT use two, just stating its a distraction.

Cmon bud lets get back, WWIII will warn us ;).

This grammar argument gets it's own thread

PREPARE TO FIGHT!

and my NAZI style : it is only 1 space kthnxbai.

seems with Vbulletin that if you put 2 its shows as 1 regardless). Trust me on this, check it up if you have to.

because it auto corrects bad grammar ^^

Well ive known it to be 2 so lets just agree we all have our own ways.
kthnx

Quoted from Wiki:
In typewritten texts and other documents printed in fixed-width fonts, there is a convention among lay American English writers that two spaces are placed after the full stop (along with the other sentence enders: question mark and exclamation mark), as opposed to the single space used after other punctuation symbols. This is sometimes termed "French spacing".

In modern English-language typographical usage, debate has arisen concerning the proper number of trailing spaces after a full stop (or exclamation mark, or question mark) to separate sentences within a paragraph. Whereas two spaces are still regarded by many outside the publishing industry to be the better usage for monospace typefaces, the awkwardness that most word-processing applications have in representing correctly the 1.5 spaces that had previously become standard for typographically proportional (non-monospace) fonts has led to some confusion about how to render the space between sentences using only word-processing tools.

Many descriptivists[5] support the notion that a single space after a full stop should be considered standard because it has been the norm in mainstream publishing for many decades. This is supported by the MLA, APA[6], and The Chicago Manual of Style.[7] Many prescriptivists,[5] meanwhile, adhere to the earlier use of two spaces on typewriters to make the separation of sentences more salient than separation of elements within sentences. Since current style guides are founded on the consensus of practice, the evidence strongly suggests that most people accept the single space in modern word-processing, largely for the reason that two spaces may stretch inordinately when full justification is applied. Additionally, many computer typefaces are designed proportionately to alleviate the need for the double space (the opposition would of course reply that this does nothing to satisfy the aforementioned saliency issue). Most widely accepted contemporary style guides categorically require that only one space be placed after full stops and similar punctuation marks, and they characterise modern practice as avoiding it.[8]

With the advent of the World Wide Web, the broader distinction between full stop spacing and internal spacing in a sentence has become largely moot. Standardized HTML treats additional whitespace after the first space as immaterial (siding unquestioningly with the one-spacers), and ignores it when rendering the page. A common workaround for this is the use of   character entity (non-breaking space) to represent extra spaces, and this is done automatically by some WYSIWYG editors.

Seems both ways are acceptable and down to personel preference ive been taught one way and others may be taught otherways.

Nothing personel guys, just a friendly debate :D.

Everybook i have ever seen only uses 1 space after a full stop and when i was little i read ALOT of books. Never have i seen 2 spaces. Get with the times bud... according to that article 2 spaces is in the past... move with the times already!

Back