History in the making .. maybe

Hi guys,

At 3:30 PM AUS EDT - I caused a DOD 1.3 game to be launched (installed actually) on [FS]DigitalGeek's PC - BUT the exciting part was he lives in Texas and I live here in Aussieland!

I am not sure if this has been done before (probably) but if not - it's a first for Free Steam - a transcontinental "Remote" steam account and game launch! I was able to launch one of my legit steam accounts on DG's PC. Effectively, I lent him a game in a reasonably secure environment! (I didn't give him the username or password! ;) )

Thanks [FS]DigitalGeek for allowing me to test my software on your PC and for staying up so long to help me! Also to Erix920 for his suggestions and constant support, Uncle D who is helping me make the "loan" more secure and to Echo419 for the "comic relief" this afternoon!! ;)

Now all I need is HELP to polish it up and make it look good (Erix) as well as testing it to death to make it ultra-stable!!

cheers
OldFart

What's launching a game on someone elses pc going to do for us?

We then force them to have www.freesteam.org as their home page ... for ever! ;)

IMO it will have a few uses .. if we can make it reasonably secure ... and if we can steal some of Echo419's phished accounts to use :D

RessourectoR said:
Just asking, because Steam still stores username and password in memory as plain text.
But since you don't launch Steam itself and since shmelle helped you with that, I suppose your app does not do so?

Making this into a system of lending and borrowing games could be extremely useful for uploaders. Anyone who buys the game can make it available to the community without having to upload a ton of data or putting his steam account in danger.

I found RessourcectoR's comments interesting!

A few more fixes and I'll release it!

Those who have offered to test it - I'll PM you thanks.

cheers
OldFart

I'm always willing to continue helping you out oldfart, just send a msg when you're ready. :D

Hi DG,

I am just changing the server so it will produce logs and "sensible" display info.

Possibly you, PsychoGamer and psuchris, could start checking the reliability of the "chat" - that way we can start tuning the UDP timeouts and retries.

Will you please give them the FTP address, username and password so they can download the client or server.

Sometime today I'll add debug versions onto the FTP site for you to test and check the logs!

Are you happy to look after that for me ?

I appreciate the help guys - because testing is the hard part - if it fugs up later then we'll all blame the testers for not finding the problem. :D

I would also appreciate comments about look/feel and important user things - these can make or break an application - I'm an analyst/programmer (We're more like WH 40K Orks - i.e. we get it going - ugly doesn't worry us :eek: ).

I told you that the testing was the hard part - I'm not joking!

Still volunteering ? ;)

Erix920 is your offer still open in regards to "beautifying" the user interface ?

cheers
OldFart

I would help with the gui if it was c.net :)

Edit: also posted at rin

Hey Erix920,

Your post at rin was good - I hadn't thought along the lines regarding the uploaders - you would have to trust them!

And I'm trying to drag you into C++ IMO knowing C# is like knowing 90~95% C++. The concepts are the same and you just have to be a little bit more careful with memory/resource allocation and cleanup.

Do you have a C++ compiler in the suite that you use ?

Then give it a try!

cheers
OldFart :D

Possibly you, PsychoGamer and psuchris, could start checking the reliability of the "chat" - that way we can start tuning the UDP timeouts and retries.

Will you please give them the FTP address, username and password so they can download the client or server.
Yeah, I'll Send them a PM with the FTP Info and some instructions.

Edit: Just sent them the FTP Info.

This definetly has alot of potential for GCF/NCF/Common file uploaders

Hi Sneaky,

Hopefully, we will finish YASAMM shortly (a couple of days work + the DLL interface from Uncle D).

After that Erix920 has some ideas along this line - if you have any suggestions please post them - as it "all adds to the mix" ;)

cheers

I got no problem uploading content I've down/uploaded like 500GB of 360 isos in the last 3 weeks so if you need a content uploader im probably your man

I got no problem uploading content I've down/uploaded like 500GB of 360 isos in the last 3 weeks so if you need a content uploader im probably your man

Hi Sneaky,

Now that this project is in (hopefully) its final phase, Erix920 and I will probably start chasing you up!

cheers

A little question. Assuming the finished product works 100% would this allow others do download directly from steam without a steam account or would it be downloaded from the person providing the account for the game?

A little question. Assuming the finished product works 100% would this allow others do download directly from steam without a steam account or would it be downloaded from the person providing the account for the game?

I'm not positive, but I believe the game would be downloaded from the account that is provided.

Hi wad92,

What basically happens - is the same as if I walked up to your PC and logged into Steam with my account username and password - the GCF will download to your PC but probably into my account's folder.

From there I assume you can do whatever you want with it.

I use the program between my different PC's (and my kid's ones as well). I also lent another clan member L4D and it downloaded the game and allowed him to play (he lives 800miles from my place - so it saved me walking).

Sorry, much and all as I'd like it to be - this is not rocket science! ;)

Ooooh - I'm awfully hungover atm :(

cheers
OldFart

wow thats amazing. When program is fully completed would it be released publically? Because it would save a hell of a lot of effort to send someone a game

i think we should keep this just to freesteam members lol. i know it would get leaked anyways but still. leave all the fun to us for a little while

Hi guys,

Sorry for being absent - but we have just restructured our clan - it's been downsized from 120+ members to about 20 - but I feel greatly relieved by the drop in pressure from trying to keep 80+ paying members happy.

Now back to this project - I have a few more days to finish off the server - but it is a Win32 Dialog based project and not ported to Linux yet.

I propose that I make a FS version - using an appropriate Logo for both the server and the executable and either hosting the server or letting 1 x of you others to host it.

I am happy to let someone decide who should get access and what level etc - maybe Erix920 or some other appropriate member?

I will also have to chase up Uncle_D again for his assistance in finishing it off for more general use.

cheers
OldFart

i think we should keep this just to freesteam members lol. i know it would get leaked anyways but still. leave all the fun to us for a little while

Great Idea. Put it in the "Member's Only" section, and then raise the member post count to 100.

Sorry for the slight bump, but I thought I'd offer my services as this project is the first plausible exciting advancement I've seen in the Steam hacking community in a while.

First of all, I have Fiber Optic internet with equivalent download and upload speeds of 25mbps (I can download and upload usually anywhere from 3-4 megabytes per second).

Second, I have a dual core PC w/2gb RAM running XP x64 that can be used as a server or something. I can keep it online 24/7. My location is Pennsylvania, in the United States.

Third, I have the best software crypter in the industry. Google SoftwarePassport v7. I have my own unique license to it, which means it could be used to either A] make a steam account stealer completely undetectable, or B] crypt the source code of this project so nobody repacks it, and doesn't turn into another you-know-what. SoftwarePassport can also be used to set up a Subscription service for the product (it can set up your program to use a serial, run only on one HWID, etc.).

Some of these services could be used together, like crypting a Steam account stealer to be 100% FUD and then uploading the details onto my server. Use your imagination.

Contact me over PM or, better yet, at my email address at [email protected] if you think I might be able to benefit you. Feel free to ask either Echo419 or WWIII if I can be trusted, as I am a staff member on FS's sister warez site, WarezHQ.net.

Thanks, and good luck in your efforts.

Hi mikhail911,

I've been a bit pre-occupied atm, as the clan I run just had a major re-shuffle and about 70 x members left - I've been spending my time rebuilding the member base back up to 40 again - so our dedicated server box is paid for!

May I suggest you read the FAQ at www.vnetcafe.com so it will explain how to share legit Steam accounts amongst family and friends.

I will try and get it ported to .NET shortly as it's running in VC++ atm.

Some of the things you suggest sound like they would fit in well with some things that Erix920 is doing!

I'll be back in touch shorty sorry if I appear abrupt atm.

cheers
OldFart

Thanks for your fast reply.

I also forgot to mention that I have lots of free time online, and several years of experience in the Steam community. I don't have any coding knowledge, but I'm able to visit forums every day and perhaps moderate or something.

If you think of a way you could use my resources let me know, I need an internet venue that I am interested in which I could spend some of my free time.

Hi guys,

Well I'm nearly back and our clan has been able to get AU $350 in donations + $600 in subs so our game server box looks reasonably safe atm. I've just had to set up map downloads server, web sites, motd's etc - I'm still working on it.

Jeezuz with all this BS I haven't been able to cut code for about 3 x weeks :(

Ask KZON3 ;)

BTW: Try our "DOD:S Social Server" this time KZON3 and I promise not to ban you - make your nick [fs]KZON3 :D

cheers
OldFart

Back