Interesting read about Steam Australia and publishers

Renegade89

steamlog.jpg

CNET.com.au has just put an article up summarising the issues with Steam, game pricing and importing in Australia. We've covered them piecemeal in the past, from Activision, to THQ, to 2K Games, but there's nothing wrong with putting the puzzle pieces together and staring at the big picture... even if it's ugly as all hell.

The article gives Ubisoft kudos for being reasonably transparent, a sentiment I agree with. It still needs to get Assassin's Creed on the AU Steam though.

While there's not a great deal of new information in the piece, it's an excellent read if you want a straight-up explanation of the local situation. Hit it up if you feel like romanticising about how often we get screwed.

CNET Review: http://www.cnet.com.au/broadband/0,239036008,339288255,00.htm

2:00 PM on Fri Apr 18 2008
by Logan Booker

---

Just more proof that Steam fucks over Australia like the whole gaming/entertainment industry.

This is exactly why FreeSteam kicks ass.

I moved from the states (PA) to Germany, and I noticed the price difference too.

Example: a Game goes for 29.99 USD on steam... Or the local Gamestop (USA). That same game is 5-10Ђ more in Germany. Not only the mark up, but then when you look at the exchange rate, you end up paying 20-25 USD more. Gotta love it! :mad:

its all about price fixing, theres a saying. To much money is never enough. People always want more if you have £5 or £5million you always want more and thats when greediness kicks in.

Back