Is it EVEN WORTH getting more than 4 Gigs of RAM?

nimkal

FS Member
I mean when do you ever need more than 4 Gigs of RAM? I'm not completely sure how it works but I know for a fact that I can run any game with my 3.5 Gigs (even though it says 4 gigs its 3.5)

Maybe someone can explain me a little :)

From what I know... graphics card is the most important... and 4 Gigs of RAM is all you need.

Upgrading your RAM is usualy the easyest and cheepest method to improving the efficency of your system. BUT if you want more then 4gb of RAM and are using a x86 processor you will need to upgrade it to a x64 and install a x64 operating system

So if u have a good graphics card for example... and ur able to run a game like Fallout 3 well with 4 Gigs.. if u put 2 extra Gig is that goin to make a difference?

If you are a big multitasker I would say it is definitely worth it.
:) could u please give me an exampe? are you just talkin about Vent+CS+Winamp+CD burn... something like that? so if ur just runnin 1 game and 1 Skype programe... u dont need more than 4gigs? it doesnt make gaming any different does it?
I guess im kinda asking the same question as above again :D

So if u have a good graphics card for example... and ur able to run a game like Fallout 3 well with 4 Gigs.. if u put 2 extra Gig is that goin to make a difference?

:) could u please give me an exampe? are you just talkin about Vent+CS+Winamp+CD burn... something like that? so if ur just runnin 1 game and 1 Skype programe... u dont need more than 4gigs? it doesnt make gaming any different does it?
I guess im kinda asking the same question as above again :D
Yes if you run many programs at the same time you might need it. But yeah if you don't run much at the same time then 4 is enough. But there are like professional video editors that have many big programs open at once and switch between them all the time that use more than 4GB. I have 6 in my computer and I've never run into a problem. BTW you can post in the Market place now.

I wish I had more RAM that I have simply for running multiple virtual machines at a time, but sadly, I only have 4GB.

How many vm do you need to run lol i run a stripped down version of xp (xp gamer edition) with 128mb ram when required and thats it. I have Windows 7 installed on my desktop and Ubuntu 10.10 installed inside of windows and have a live version on a usb, pretty much covered for everything there (other than mac but lets not get into why i dont want their "shiny" operating system) :D

Well there are limitations
1) How much does your motherboard support?
2) What DDR verison? (1,2,3)
3) Processor age, performance?

------

Right now i have 8 GB of RAM on my computer,
I RARELY! use more then 3.
(only reason is for multiple login- main reason)

----
Why would you want more then 4 GB of RAM
1) applications wanting to us? (tell me a small list)
2) what game do you want to run more than one at once (very few allow this)

You'll need more than 4GB of RAM for heavy video editing, heavy photoshop and picture editing. A solid state drive would also help benefit those programs. Some games like GTA IV can eat up 4gb fast.

First of all depends what operating system you use? If you use windows XP.. Then dont even bother to buy 4GB of RAM because it doesnt support it.. If you use Vista I would say instead of buying 4 GB of RAM for vista you should buy Windows 7. And if you have Windows 7 then ask yourself the question do you multi-task alot? like do you use: Windows Live Messenger, Play Crysis 2, and run a other Virtual Computer.. at the same time? Then yes upgrading your RAM at that point is usefull. Look on the back of Computer games mostlikely tells you how much RAM is Required or Adviced :)

Greetings,

Back