My grandparents computer windows 98 dont work with steam

Status
Not open for further replies.

PrivateXP

FS Member
I have to go over to my grandparents house tomorow and i wanted to install steam on here. It wont run cuz this windows 98. Is there any way around it???

about 300 MB ram, windows 98. Graphics controller. The computer is really slow by the way. Probrealy cuz they got a huge monitor for it...

Use a steam launcher, Steam buster should be a good choice because it don't need .net, that should allow you to play the games.

300mb of ram :|. i remember having 256mb and i thought that was fast.
i remember windows 3.1
win311.gif

I really dont know wat ur talking about on how to get steam working on this computer. you said Use a steam launcher, Steam buster should be a good choice because it don't need .net, that should allow you to play the games. I also want to be able to chat to steam friends. What you talking about STEAM LAUNCHER? STEAM BUSTER?

I ran HL1/CS on 128MB kinda glitch but playable if you tweak the OS and use minimal services/background apps should be fine.

Well, that might be kind of hard... I'm sure you could get .Net files that would allow you to run Steam... I thought Steam would work w/ 98...

I will set up a win98 VMware, and give it a shot. I will report back with the results.

EDIT

While I am at it, you might try to take just the steam.exe from another install, and put it in it's own directory and run it, it is set to self update, and you won't need the new windows installer that it claims to need for the msi.

Lol good luck with that

You should get a better processor, ram, even a hardrive + a videocard, and probally windows xp. and it'll be good as new.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back