New PC Operating System Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

flv1333

FS Member
I am wanting to start my system from scratch and make it a dual or even triple boot system. I have a problem deciding whether I should get Win XP Pro 32bit or 64bit.:confused: Is there a difference in available gaming power?

The other question is, Is it worth it to get Vista yet? if so what version?

Also I'm thinking about messing around with Linux a bit and Ubuntu will be my start platform, or is there something better out there? I've searched and I think Ubuntu will be the most user friendly. Help is much appreciated! ;)

You CAN dual boot vista and XP. (best option if you want dual)
The problem with 64bit is that some programs and games even Graphic display drivers are not compatible.
Yes it is worth getting Vista as a lot of issues have been sorted via minor and major updates like Service Pack 1 for example.
Gaming with 64 and 32bit I'm not sure what the difference is i think it could be minimal if anything, in my own view, vista is for gaming due to Direct X 10.

In XP32 vs 64 the gaming difference is nil with x64 coming on top by like 3 fps, but in Vista the x64 version is amazingly fast in comparison.

btw... just in case you didn't know... Windows XP 32bit only supports up to 3.36gb(approx) or memory, well as the 64bit version supports over 4gb. Depending on your system, you may benefit from 64bit over 32 however risk the trouble of incompatibility with programs you wish to use.

That only gets 23.0 FPS on flight sim x

That is true, but i got it for 150 bucks. I mean come on, u cant beat that price :D :D BTW: Y is ur sig not showing?

btw... just in case you didn't know... Windows XP 32bit only supports up to 3.36gb(approx) or memory, well as the 64bit version supports over 4gb. Depending on your system, you may benefit from 64bit over 32 however risk the trouble of incompatibility with programs you wish to use.

Yeah, I think ill stick with XP 32bit for more compatibility. I only have 2GB dual channel anyway. But thanks fro the heads up! :)

Lol, I'll deff need the luck!! It's my first time dual booting. I surfed google for a while and found some good tuts, so I sould be OK..... hopefully

Well, if it fails I can alway reformat!:rolleyes:

Dual booting is piss easy mate. One option for choosing the default OS to boot to is:
type msconfig in the run command (start, run)
click on the boot tab.
and there you can choose which OS to boot from and also the time it gives you to decide.

Would that msconfig also work if I want to have Linux specifically Ubuntu, Win XP pro 32, and Vista 64? :confused:

And thanks again for all the help guys! :D

Ermm good question, not 100% what you trying to get at whether you want to dual boot
Ubuntu and an Microsoft Os, or, all three of them lol.
I just searched Google with something like this "dual boot +linux" without the quotes.

Well I want to have all three actually. Win XP for good game, and program compatability:).

Vista for DX10:D.

Unbuntu,.... well, just because I want to mess with Linux a bit. :p

XP for good gaming lol thats what DX10 is all about, improving the looks etc thus i guess good gaming.

Update!

Ok gents, the quad boot is where its at.:cool:

I now have WinXP pro 32 "awsome edition", WinXP Pro 64, Vista 32, and Ubuntu 64. Why? Just for the F*** of it.

And it all fit nicely on a 80 GB IDE I had layin' around;)

It was really easier than I thought.

Thanks for the info. I'll read it through and see. Looks like an interestiong challenge, for my noob self.

I am wanting to start my system from scratch and make it a dual or even triple boot system. I have a problem deciding whether I should get Win XP Pro 32bit or 64bit.:confused: Is there a difference in available gaming power?

Also I'm thinking about messing around with Linux a bit and Ubuntu will be my start platform, or is there something better out there? I've searched and I think Unbuntu will be the most user friendly. Help is much appreciated! ;)

you should check your CPU first, if it's 64bit then i suggest you go 64( even though it's not a big deal if you stay with 32bit) and for vista, the most optimum version is premium( and if you have a bit more cash then go with ultimate) good luck

64-bit has pissy issues with driver support. I'd check to see if all my components has 64-bit drivers before doing anything

Also I'm thinking about messing around with Linux a bit and Ubuntu will be my start platform, or is there something better out there? I've searched and I think Ubuntu will be the most user friendly. Help is much appreciated! ;)
64bit is designed for systems with over 3GB of RAM, that's the main difference. But the architecture and programming is different, thus requiring the same applications for both types.

You should install a 64-bit os because it will read more than 3.25 gb ram(32-bit os reads only 3.25 gb of your total ram)and has more improvements, and your 32-bit application will work without problems in 64-bit os(because 64-bit os supports 32-bit apps)

If you want to play dx10 games i recommend you installing windows 7 because it's and optimized version of vista

Hey!:) Sooh. You can't choose between 32 and 64 bit? There is a reason why you should get a 64. The reason is, that 32 bit OS can support only up to 3.5GB of Ram. Even if you have 4GB installed, it recognizes only 3.5 and uses only 3.5. Even if you have like 2 gigs, you should get 64, because you surely want to upgrade the RAM later. If you build a PC from scratch, get a DDR3 chipset because DDR2 is getting veryvery old and DDR3 isn't as deadly expensive as it was like 1.5 years ago. Also, i readed some posts in this thread. Windows vista is definetly not good. It takes just SO many resources, that you will later regret it very very hard!

I would tell you considdering getting windows 7 instead.

-Takes less CPU than XP (Yes! that is right! It takes less cpu, but a little bit more RAM.)
-Doesn't take as deadly much resources as vista takes.
-XP is very old, the first versions of XP were made back 10 years ago. Microsoft also announced long time ago, that they aren't supporting XP anymore.
Few Links.
Techspot.com - Link 1
Techspot.com - Link 2

Good luck on building your dream pc!

-Alo
PS:If you need any help, just tell me what country you are from, how big is the budget and what is a must for you building the PC. I will surely help you find the best parts. (PM me if you need help)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back