Server for Gaming Cafe

koro

Hi everyone!

Next year I will be opening a gaming cafe and i want to build a server to load it with CS:S for local play and Internet.

I need some help with this (16 or 20 slots):

CPU to use
How much Memory
Internet speed connection

Looking forward to use FreeSteam. Thank You!

Oh wow! Sweet dude, that would be a huge help to spread FreeSteam. I have been running Dedicated Servers for 3 years and I have quit a lot of experience. I just never paid for a real server. I could help you with server features for fun and everything! I would love to work with you configuring the server. Add me to Xfire: xdementorx

I will see about the server statistics. I will reply back soon.

If he's putting it in a cafe, he should not bother renting one from a hosting website.
His best bet is to host it on the same PC he is hosting the CAS application.
The server box should have 512MB-1GB of memory
a Pentium 4 or above (P3s work in a pinch)
and your internet speed should be a t1 or t3. (c'mon it's a gaming cafe)

If he's putting it in a cafe, he should not bother renting one from a hosting website.
His best bet is to host it on the same PC he is hosting the CAS application.
The server box should have 512MB-1GB of memory
a Pentium 4 or above (P3s work in a pinch)
and your internet speed should be a t1 or t3. (c'mon it's a gaming cafe)
You will get a hell of a lot better performance with 1GB RAM. P4 HT at least. t3 will also be the best, but t1 is a good start.

Thank you everyone for your replies, i checked counter-strike.com and I kinda like it but will it let me join with FreeSteam? or like a cracked server or something?
It appears that they install the server and you only 'use' it. (configure, mod, etc..)

If it's too hard to get it working, i would have to do the server and run it local only.. with bots. (not hard to do). What if i would like to have another cafe miles away to access it, using internet, something like the DNS stuff? With cracked CS:S in every computer, that's the main idea. [cs:s cracked + server cracked = local and online play] ?

Actually if you used counter-strike.com you can access the servers files and folders easily. Like I said...it's easier for nubs and you could do anything you ever wanted to do with it. But I agree too with Obelisk and W3, both of these ideas are good starts. Koro, you should def buy a server for FreeSteam. Population would be quite large. :) And someone else could help you crack the server.

Ahh, so no CAS then.
xD, I was kinda hoping you would bee able to export a certificate for me.
In that case it's still better to run it on a local machine and forward the game port to the web.

T1 is good start, I agree lol. They run 4 schools in my town off one line and the internet is still real fast (~2000-3000 computers).

But all of those computers arn't pulling at the same time. And 2000-3000 IS either an exaggeration or, The internet at your school is hella slow, becuase T1 Is not that fast to run 2k computers

On the cafe, I would say you don't need even a whole box for 2 servers. I mean a whole box can normally support 5 Games on it at 16 slots if I'm correct w/o lagging.

OK, just got a css server from counter-strike.com. Currently it is only 14 slot server, 100 tick. got it to test any FreeSteam application necesary. right now i havent done anything yet. i was thinking about a GunGame DeatMatch and some customized quake sounds.. please post if anybody wants to join the administrator for this one, we can experiment and do just about anything with it. pst.

Your cafe should probably.. well, the bandwidth you will need is determined by how many computers you intend to have online (i.e, internet) at the same time. Settle for a gigabit switch for local/LAN play. Should be more than sufficient.

Back