SteamEmu v3.82 - Dec. 19th 2007

WorldWarIII

[ Respected ]
UPDATE (19/12/07) version 3.82. Demos in HL1 games are really recorded correctly, hlds properly accepts legit clients, using "map" command to change level in srcds does not cause "No steam Logon" for users, steamemu.ini is included in release.
UPDATE (30/11/07) version 3.80. Demos in HL1 games are recorded correctly.
UPDATE (25/11/07) version 3.78. AppId from gameinfo.txt, SteamWasBlobRegistryDeleted.

UPDATE (06/01/07): version 3.65. GMod10 and Dark Messiah fixes.
UPDATE (01/10/06): Updated ClientRegistry.blob for Advent Rising, Bloodrayne etc...
UPDATE (27/09/06): 3.64, missing function added
UPDATE (14/09/06): still 3.63b, auto-verifying fixed a bit
UPDATE (05/09/06): version 3.63b
UPDATE (31/08/06): version 3.61
UPDATE (25/08/06): version 3.60 with small fix, steamlauncher included
UPDATE (24/08/06): version 3.60
UPDATE (20/08/06): version 3.59b. Update only if you have problems with 3.55, or just want to test new version.
UPDATE (16/08/06): Update ClientRegistry.blob for Uplink and Sniper: Elite
UPDATE (27/07/06): version 3.54
UPDATE (26/07/06): version 3.53
UPDATE (26/07/06): version 3.52

After a while of being busy with other things than working on STEAMemu,
I was visiting cs.rin.ru again. I noticed that STEAMemu was actually still being used and that users like _MetalliC_ were doing their part in keeping it all working.

Thats why I decided to do some development again to support all the new functionality, and support emulated servers in a much better way then before.

Initially that resulted in bugfix release (3.05b) and then into something bigger.
Now STEAMemu can be also used to run extracted games too.

Remember, this new version has been made possible through the feedback you have all given, so your proper bugreports are always welcome.

Features
  • Fully operational Plug'n'Play STEAMemu for all current valve games
  • Full ClientRegistry.blob parsing support to autodetect and launch all games
  • Extraction and installation of uninstalled games from GCF
  • Full NCF parsing support for support of NCF games
  • Support to mount custom GCF's for mods and language support from ini
  • Supports running Valve Steamclient fully emulated
  • Running games extracted by dropping steam.dll into the extracted game dir
  • Run a dedicated (VAC) server without any patches
  • Supports other cracked clients on emulated servers
  • Emulated servers support STEAMID
  • No modification of any files for emulated clients and servers, thus no patching future updates
  • Emulated server does not report back information to Valve Authentication Servers
Tested Games (Install, Launch & Play)
  • AstroPop Deluxe
  • Bejeweled Deluxe
  • Bejeweled 2 Deluxe
  • Big Money Deluxe
  • BookWorm Deluxe
  • Chuzzle Deluxe
  • Codename Gordon
  • Condition Zero
  • Condition Zero: Deleted Scenes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Counter-Strike: Source
  • Dangerous Waters
  • Darwinia
  • Day of Defeat
  • Day of Defeat: Source
  • Deathmatch Classic
  • Disciples II Galleans Return
  • Disciples II Rise of the Elves
  • Dynomite Deluxe
  • Earth 2160
  • Feeding Frenzy 2 Deluxe
  • GTI Racing
  • Half-Life
  • Half-Life 2
  • Half-Life 2: Deathmatch
  • Half-Life 2: Episode One
  • Half-Life Deathmatch: Source
  • Half-Life: Blue Shift
  • Half-Life: Source
  • Hammer Heads Deluxe
  • Heavy Weapon Deluxe
  • Iggle Pop Deluxe
  • Insaniquarium Deluxe
  • Iron Warriors
  • Jagged Alliance 2
  • Opposing Force
  • Pizza Frenzy
  • Rag Doll Kung Fu
  • Red Orchestra
  • Ricochet
  • Rocket Mania Deluxe
  • Shadowgrounds
  • SiN 1
  • SiN 1 Multiplayer
  • Sin Episodes: Emergence
  • Space Empires IV Deluxe
  • Talismania Deluxe
  • Team Fortress Classic
  • The Ship
  • Typer Shark Deluxe
  • Uplink
  • X2: The Threat
  • X3: Reunion
  • Xpand Rally
  • Zuma Deluxe
Tested Tools (Install, Launch & Play)
  • Dedicated Server
  • Source Dedicated Server
  • Source SDK
  • Disciples II Galleans Return Scenario Editor
  • Disciples II ROTE Scenario Editor
  • RedOrchestra SDK Beta
  • Shadowgrounds Editor
  • The Ship Dedicated Server
Instructions (Win32 Client/Server)
  • Using STEAMemu with the Valve Steam client:
    Copy 'Steamlauncher.exe', 'Steamemu.ini' and 'steam.dll' into your Valve Steam client dir.
    Make sure a copy of clientregistry.blob is available created with a blank account.
    Launch the Valve steamclient using 'SteamLauncher.exe', play games as normal.
  • Using STEAMemu standalone:
    Copy 'Steam.dll', 'Steamemu.ini' and 'ClientRegistry.blob' in the game directory
    (where hl.exe / hl2.exe etc resides).
    Launch the game as normal. Optionally if the right GCF's cannot be mounted for the game specify the application id by using the '-appid XXX' parameter.
Frequently Asked Questions
  • Q: I want to make all games run through direct shortcuts at once?
    A: Make sure 'clientregistry.blob', 'steamemu.ini' and the STEAMemu 'steam.dll' is in your Valve steam client
    dir, and make sure the steam client dir is in your PATH variable.
  • Q: STEAMemu does not modify any files in games, does that mean future games will work?
    A: Most likely new games will work without any changes or modifications. Even the old emu is still working
    with most older games now, but is not nearly as advanced as this new version.
  • Q: What if Valve releases a new version of a game / dedicated server?
    A: As the files of the game or the dedicated server are not patched, the emulation should still work fine on
    the new release.
  • Q: How can I help making STEAMemu better?
    A: Report bugs on the forums of cs.rin.ru. Include a description on how the bug can be reproduced and if
    possible include a save game to reproduce the crash.
  • Q: I have the GCF for game X but it is not appearing on my game list? Stand-alone it will not launch either.
    A: Each game uses multiple GCF's it depends on, make sure you have all needed dependency GCF's for the game
    you are trying to play, otherwise STEAMemu will not launch it.
  • Q: I have the NCF and corresponding files for Game X in my \SteamApps\Common dir, but it is not showing up in
    the steam client?
    A: STEAMemu checks the files listed in the NCF for existence and size, most likely your files are damaged,
    which causes STEAMemu to report the game as non-operational.
  • Q: I have installed a mod like Garry's Mod and I see it in the Valve Steam Client but it is not launching?
    A: Custom mods are not supported yet through the Valve Steam Client, however it is possible to launch it
    from the console using 'hl2.exe -appid 220 -game "c:\program files\steam\steamapps\sourcemods\gmod9"'
  • Q: When I install a game using the Valve Steam Client, only a certain set of files is installed?
    A: STEAMemu knows exactly which files are required to play the game, the so-called minimum footprint.
    It extracts the same files real Valve server does
  • Q: How can I configure the more advanced settings of STEAMemu?
    A: Open the included 'steamemu.ini' to change advanced settings. Read the comments carefully to see how it
    works.
  • Q: How is the emulated server different from cracked ones?
    A: First of all as its emulated it does not need to be updated all the time. Second of all, the steam logon
    error which cracked server variants patch, is caused cause your STEAMID along with your personal client IP
    address is reported to the Valve Authentication server. You get kicked when your STEAMID is not a
    valid logged on STEAMID, this means Valve can create a list of users playing illegally quite easily.
    Needless to say with the emulated server no such communication takes place.
  • Q: Can this emulator be used for extracted games?
    A: Running extracted games with this emulator is no problem at all. However extracted games sometimes have
    checks to make sure they are not running extracted, which other groups patch. THe checks will still fail
    though when using the emulator without cracked files of course.
    If you want to get rid of ClientRegistry.blob dependency and avoid FS mounting use Extracted=1 in config file.
  • Q: Why should I run my games from GCF files?
    A: Valve games consist of thousands of small files. On the NTFS file system (used by most Windows XP computers),
    smaller files are not stored in seperate file clusters but rather in the MFT (Master File Table) itself.
    This causes the small files to bloat your MFT, which can only grow, not shrink and causes more seeks.
    Valve chose to put the files in an archive, just like the earlier WAD files with old HL1 games exactly
    for this reason. The internal filesystem inside a GCF is optimized for the type of access the Source engine
    does.
  • Q: Is my emulated server compatible with cracked game client X?
    A: The emulated server always assigns a valid STEAMID and allows all clients without authentication to the Valve
    servers. There is no reason why a certain client should not work.
  • Q: Does STEAMemu have multi-language and/or addon support?
    A: Yes, it is possible to mount custom configured GCF's before the game's own GCF's are mounted.
    The contents of these GCF's will have priority over the games content. Using this its possible to
    switch languages, or for example load a CS:Bot GCF with modified files (should someone make one *hint*).
  • Q: I do not have a clientregistry.blob, will STEAMemu still work?
    A: You can run emulator in extracted mode (Extracted=1) in config. Otherwise, blob is pretty much required because it saves you from having to manually supply mount list for each game you want to run.
  • Q: I get Steam validation error / Steam account does not own this game error when joining a server?
    A: A STEAMemu client only works on STEAMemu servers or on cracked servers.
    It does not allow you to play on legit servers or circumvent VAC2
    in any way as those checks are totally server-side.
  • Q: Can I run a VAC2 secured server with STEAMemu?
    A: A STEAMemu server can run VAC2 secured without any problem.
    STEAMemu clients, cracked clients and legit clients will all be able to join like normal.

Download Here

Q: I get Steam validation error / Steam account does not own this game error when joining a server?
A: A STEAMemu client only works on STEAMemu servers or on cracked servers.
It does not allow you to play on legit servers or circumvent VAC2

hey i got this error : when it connect to my account suddenly it closes.And i have all the things in that instructions.Does it work on Windows Xp too?

yea i got the same thing i followed all the instructions and i made a blank account and when i launch it through steamlauncher is says connecting to account then disappears as if it crashed.
BTW i am running Vista 64 bit so i don't think its XP

I get a weard error message when trying to download Garry's Mod 10, can only see a part of it 'ERROR. ERROR unable to delete old steamui.dll, WIN32' cant see more of that. Any help?

You need to have the GCF files that correspond to the specific game. Then I'm pretty sure you run the program, locate your GCF files then the program extracts the games ready to play.

Sorry if I sound like a n00b, but I have no idea how to install games.. Do I have to download a rip, or what?

Thanks..

I just want to download half life 2. I don't care about anything else.

That's what I thought. So it's in the actual steam client? Where? Because I think it isn't working right. Are they in "games"? or do I have to go to the "purchase" page, and just download it there somehow?

I think something's messed up. Here's what I did:
Downloaded the .RAR file of steamemu, extracted (on my desktop), copied the steam.dll, steamemu (which is a "Configuration Settings" filetype which opens in notepad), and steamlauncher.exe, and pasted them in the official steam folder (C:/program files/steam). It asks if I want to overwrite the file "Steam.dll" I click yes. I then try to open steam by clicking the steamlauncher.exe I copied into that folder. It gets an error message saying "Failed to load steamui.dll make sure steamlauncher is in the same directory." and the steamlauncher is in the same directory. So, I try making a shortcut of the launcher, then add the paramaters "-steam", so it now looks like this ""C:\Documents and Settings\Compaq_Owner\Desktop\SteamLauncher.exe" -steam" (by the way, the shortcut is on my desktop, does that matter? Because I put it in the steam directory and it didn't work there either.), but it says the same thing. SO, I try opening steam with the original (actual steam, not the emu) steam icon, and it works. BUT, it installs a update, which replaces the steam.dll I copied there, with the old one. So, I guess that's not good?

What to do? thanks ^_^

Edit: Actually, when I replace steam.dll with the one in the steamemu .rar, I get another message when I try to open it with the steamlauncher or the launcher shortcut with the paramaters.
It says "The procedure entry point SteamIsFileNeededByApp could not be located in the dynamic link library Steam.dll.". Then after that, it gets the same message it was getting before.

P.S., yes, clientregistry.blob is there. It's right next to steamlauncher, steam.dll, and steamemu.

Hello,

I'm new to all this so maybe I'm doing something wrong but I do what you've said in your instructions and get these two errors:

The procedure entry point SteamIsFileNeededByApp could not be
located in the dynamic link library Steam.dll.

(I click okay and then get the second one.)

Failed to load Steamui.dll
Make sure SteamLauncher is in the steam directory.

I'm trying to use the steam client install but cant get away from those error messages.

Im running Windows Vista Ultimate 32bit, not sure if that's a problem or not.

Back