USB Drive messed up

Binary

Got a 512mb usb drive and it used to have some files on it.

Unfortunately today when I connect it to my pc, the files went missing. On the properties tab, it shows that it has used up 23mb out of 512mb but no files can be found.

Without getting any further, I went to reformat it without realizing that it was formating 481mb off the usb drive, which means the rest of the storage space (23mb) is missing. My point is this, is there a way to recover the storage space so that it returns to 512mb?

Got a 512mb usb drive and it used to have some files on it.

Unfortunately today when I connect it to my pc, the files went missing. On the properties tab, it shows that it has used up 23mb out of 512mb but no files can be found.

Without getting any further, I went to reformat it without realizing that it was formating 481mb off the usb drive, which means the rest of the storage space (23mb) is missing. My point is this, is there a way to recover the storage space so that it returns to 512mb?

Try to format it with partition manager.

Neg, if the total space has decreased then it means that the cells in the stick have died, there's no recovering from that unfortunately.

I agree with wut those two above me said, but you cannot possibly expect that your flash drive to be 512MB, because 7% of all drives are not usable, they are used by the filesystem. Another thing u can do is quick formatting ure drive, this way it elimiates those useless found clusters.

Forget all of that. What you should have done: Open the disk with windows explorer, right click on it and go to properties.
Choose tools, and click "error checking" you would get a folder with a bunch of .CHK files, then use one of these: Recover CHK Files to recover the files.

Back