Valve Screws over all EU customers.

Update #6 (probably the last one):

Warning!

This post (the first one in this thread) is now under censorship, which means there is no point in posting here anything anymore. Good luck to all European citizens out there.

Here's some proof:

http://www.sumowski.com/syf/censorship.JPG

Several lines were removed from this post, and some were added to the thread. It seems like Volunteer Moderators are taking over this thread, and I do not agree with that, so I'm simply going stop participating in this particular discussion.

Thanks for supporting, but it seems that on this official forums we don't have anything to say.

In not so distant future there will be a website created especially for this whole issue. Stay tuned.

And some good news:

It seems that our friends from S2 Games have changed the price of Savage 2 to 6.99Ђ, which is exactly the same amount as $9.99.

Proof: Steam Users' Forums - View Single Post - Looks like $1 = Ђ1 after all

Store link: Savage 2: A Tortured Soul on Steam

----------------------------

I don't see "Enable/Disable European Store Beta" anymore so I assume it's going to stay like this?

Well, goodbye Steam, it was great while it lasted. I will continue to use my Steam account and my Steam games as long as I can, and I will probably enter some retail CD keys into the account (for future Valve games) when I have a chance.

But the whole $=Ђ forced me to resign from buying anything on Steam. I have got a special USD Visa card that actually had some great deal when I bought something in $$$, right now it's pointless.

Thanks Valve! Another disappointment of the year.

Discuss, Europeans only I guess (of course apparently for Valve UK is not Europe and their prices are even lower than those in USA - some of them).

Update #1:
If you do not agree with this non-sense exchange rate join our group:
1Ђ ≠ 1$

Update #2:
Did Valve set those prices?

Something for Valve's defense: taken from GoG.com forums (direct link)

Read this:
Savage 2: A Tortured Soul Forum - View Single Post - S2 team please answer - Ђ currency on Steam.

Whole topic on official S2 forums:
S2 team please answer - Ђ currency on Steam. - Savage 2: A Tortured Soul Forum

Example of current rip-off prices:

Call of Duty 4

(Germany)
49,99 US$ = 34,72 Ђ
49.99 Ђ = 71.970603 US$

(Switzerland)
49.99 US$ = 54 CHF
49.99 Ђ = 77.8 CHF

(Norway)
49,99 US$ = 340,54kr
49,99 Ђ = 479,38kr

(Denmark)
49,99 US$ = 258.859465 Danish kroner
49,99 Ђ = 371.385675 Danish kroner

(Hungary)
49,99 US$=9457 HUF
49,99 Ђ =13327 HUF

(Poland)
49,99 US$ = 141,14 PLN/Zloty
49,99 Ђ = 203,20 PLN/Zloty

Update #3:

Games sold in USD (American Dollar) with VAT tax added at the end of the purchase were cheaper than games sold in EUROS right now.

Here's a proof:

Call of Duty 4

USD+ VAT Tax
$49.99 + 19% ($9.49) = $59,4

Keep in mind some countries have VAT of more than 19% (22-25%) but it's STILL cheaper ($49,99 + $14,65 is the MAXIMUM = $64,68), but why does the WHOLE EUROPE have to pay the same amount? It was good how it was before.

EUROS with NO TAX
Ђ49.99 = $70.59

Need a proof on paper?
(thanks to Xmeagol^) http://img206.imageshack.us/img206/1042/cod4hu8.jpg
(note: the price on the screenshot of Call of Duty 4 was HIGHER back then when it got released, pretend it's $49.99)

More to this, nations like Norwegians DID NOT pay any VAT tax at all, because they DO NOT pay VAT tax in their country - for example when it comes to downloading content or other medias.
Some other countries don't pay VAT as well.

Proof:

(thanks to bent) http://www.flyer.no/sacred2.jpg
(thanks to Shagma) Bildr.no

Conclusion?
With the example above game like Call of Duty 4 is now 27% more expensive for people paying in Ђ than it was before.

Update #4:

Rest of World Steam Group Announcement

Steam Store and localized currency for Europe and UK

Update #5:

All European Union residents should watch this video:

If you want to know more about your rights visit this website:
www.dolceta.eu

It's available in all EU languages. More about European Commission below!

As for VAT information (thanks to wiak):

European Commission:

Update on EU Commission:
Please watch this video, it gives basic information about EU Commission:

If you are a resident of European Union you should, in my opinion, fill out the form below and send it.

Do you feel discriminated? Feel there's nothing you can do? Living in EU country?

You can always file complaint at the website of the European Commission.
<- click on it.

How to fill it out (example): CLICK HERE
Remember to mention that there are differences between UK and rest of Europe, that's the main point - that part is NOT visible on the screen shot!.

By popular request I'm posting the text for the point 3 of the petition:
The company called Valve (valvesoftware.com) is discriminating it's European customers. Since they added a so called "European Local Currency" to their store the prices went up by at least 27% up for all residents in European Union, the worst thing is that United Kingdom (Great Britain) has LOWER prices, which simply shows that VALVE doesn't treat it's European customers equally - which is against the European law. Their exchange rate of currency is outrages, for example a product worth $19.99 was "converted" to Ђ19.99. Official news regarding the European currency: www.store.steampowered.com/news/2110/. More information regarding this whole issue (with examples, and lots of unsatisfied customers) is located at: Looks like $1 = Ђ1 after all - Steam Users' Forums.

(change it a little bit if you want)

What's this gonna change? Apple did the same thing in the beginning of 2008, European Commission forced them to adjust the prices to EU.

Article about it: click here

Articles on the net:

halflife2.net - "Valve Are Aware of the Europe Prices Issue"

steamfriends.com - "Prices on Steam in Euros"

todojuegos.com - Steam games will begin to pay in Euros - (poor translation by Google)

destructoid.com - "Valve decides that Europeans don't get screwed over enough when they buy games"

techpowerup.com - "Valve Inflicts European Gamers with $1 = Ђ1 Equation"

Gamikaze.pl - translated to English "Monetary circus on Steam"

tweakers.net - translated to English

nu.nl - translated to English

gamez.nl - translated to English

spillmagasinet.no - translated to English

itavisen.no - translated to English

4players.de - translated to English

gamer.no - translated to English (not very precise translation..)
fixed translation -> click (thanks to bassoman)

gamecyte.com - Learn Math With Steam’s New Europe Prices

What you shouldn't do:

Proxy:

Sure you can browse the Steam Store using proxy servers in USA and see everything in $ again. But if you want to buy anything you need to:

1) pay with American VISA or other US credit card
2) American PayPal or any other payment method that proves you're in US

What happens if VALVe finds out?

You will be banned somehow probably or your account will be disabled permanently. Yes, there is nothing about proxy in the Steam Subscriber Agreement, but still VAVLe will act against it.

So simply don't try it.

It's easier to ask your friend outside Europe to buy something for you!

Steam Support:

Do not spam Steam Support about this, remember there are lots of players and Steam users out there who may need their help with their stolen accounts, broken games etc.

Ummm well cod 4 beeing 27% more is still cheaper the the rrp (recommended retail price). and is it like that for VALVE games or just third party ones? OHhh and valve probs get charged a percentage for dealing it diffrent currencies.

No problems here because most of the stuff is cheaper now for me. Just the rest of Europe suffers.

Funny how Australians still have to pay using USD not AUD, Valve is making an insane amount of profit and is getting away with it and fucking its users around.

Holy shi-... Didn't realize how badly EU users had it. Damn that's effed up. Personally, I hate Steam all together but this just takes it to a whole new level.

Steam is no more over priced than where you would buy anywhere else.

Back