What would be the BEST and CHEAPEST video card for me?

xxbr3ndanxx

Hey Freesteamers~!!
I'm wondering what would be the best and the cheapest video card for me because i'm using a shitty Intel Integrated Graphics Card..

I need a new one to play Portal which requires the video card to support DX9 and have Shader Model 3.0.

I'm not sure what/which video card to buy since i'm pathetic at hardware stuff.. that's why i'm asking YOU GUYS.

Hehe.. could someone link me to a video card from an Australian website?

Thanks!

Orange Box Min System Requirements:

1.7 GHz Pentium 4
512 MB system RAM
DirectX 8 compatible video card

and in the Product info it says ..featuring Direct X 9.0 and long shader support

So yea, its working on this gfx card.

Anywayz.. the Nvidia 8800 GT 512mb has been out for like a day here(NZ).
If you can afford it, buy it. The bad thing about having it is that the noise output is about 73dB, pretty much like a working vacuum cleaner.

Technology changes all the time, no doubt we'll see a better card at a cheaper price within these two months.

ATI graphics cards aren't too bad, just remember that they are releasing new cards in two weeks time.

chinois.gif
Economizing is the answer

I assume you could afford a card under AUD150.

GeForce 8600 GT 512MB PCI Express

That's around 130 bucks.

Edit: Luckily I have delayed the pc building process, prices around Christmas time should be cheaper. I'm definitely choosing the 8800GT over 8800GTS 320mb series unless there's a better card at a better deal. One more thing, the 8800GTS 640mb is getting make over as well and it will be named differently.

Of course Renegade89 is choosing a low budget graphics card for ya. Those are under 100 bucks.

Time for me to rest. ^_0

Would help if you would post a link people..
@Msnforum
hey!! sup!!! long time no chat. :D
Thanks for posting that.. now i'll use google.

EDIT: oh and also, on some website, it says that that video card is
"built for windows vista". Would this affect the performance because i use good old Windows XP

The main reason when it says it's built for Windows Vista is because the hardware(graphics card) itself has DirectX 10 which is specially built for Windows Vista. It will still work with your old Windows XP. Someone else can correct me if I'm wrong cause my eyes are tired and things are getting blurry lol. Bed time.

The main reason when it says it's built for Windows Vista is because the hardware(graphics card) itself has DirectX 10 which is specially built for Windows Vista. It will still work with your old Windows XP. Someone else can correct me if I'm wrong cause my eyes are tired and things are getting blurry lol. Bed time.
Yes it should be compatible with XP although its DirectX 10 ready.

But although its DirectX 10 ready you won't be able to run DirectX 10 on XP, but thats not what you asked for..

:confused: Conclusion: Msnforum is right

Back