[WINDOWS]Failover Clustering for Windows Server 2008 Hyper-V with File Server Storage

Discussion in 'Windows/*nix' started by FSOwner, July 20, 2008.

1. FSOwner

FSOwner FS Owner

Jose Barreto: In a previous blog post, I described 5 different ways to implement Windows Server Failover Clustering with Windows Server 2008 Hyper-V. Those options included: Parent-based Failover Clustering with two physical servers, Child-based Failover Clustering with two physical servers, Mixed Physical/Virtual Failover Clustering, Failover Clustering with two child partitions on one physical server and Standalone demo laptop with Virtual iSCSI SAN. If you missed that one, check http://blogs.technet.com/josebda/ar...2008-hyper-v-failover-clustering-options.aspx.

However, I failed to mention in that post the option to use CIFS/SMB file server share as your option for Failover Clustering storage. This scenario is so unique (with differences in flexibility, cost and performance), that I would argue it constitutes a sixth method. HereŠ²??s how you can do it.

More...