[TUT] How To Crack Steam

What you need?
OllyDbg (Debugger)
http://www.ollydbg.de/odbg110.zip

Steam (Putrid Filth)
http://steampowered.com/download/SteamInstall.exe

Step 1 - Installing Steam
Once you have downloaded all the tools above, the first thing to do is install steam, just whip through the installer until it is all done and dusted. Steam will execute itself and prompt for a login, but you will need to register a new account (which is free) and once you have done that, log into it and steam may update itself, this is fine.
Once you see the games screen and realise that you have no games in there, the process of cracking can begin.
Close steam completely and double check on the task manager (ctrl+alt+del) that it is gone. Sometimes it feels it is too important to close and hides behind windows... asshole.

Step 2 - PreChecks
Update checks... http://www.steampowered.com/v/index.php?area=news
Make a new file called steam.cfg inside steams directory and paste the line "BootStrapperInhibitAll=enable" into it without quotes. Save that and that will make sure that steam does not update and destroy your precious work. Also, by now winrar should be on your computer, just rar up the legit steam.dll so if there are any mistakes you have somewhere to start again.

Step 3 - OllyDbg
Extract and run ollydbg, go to file - open. Above the cancel button of this new window there should be 2 file types, .exe and .dll. Choose .dll, locate and open steam.dll.
Ollydbg has a loaddll plug-in and may prompt you asking if you would like to use it, click yes.
After a short analysis, a load of code will pop up, this code is known as ASM and is basically the exe broken down into a readable format.

Step 4 - Unlocking GUI
Steams game list is locked away behind various codes but hackers found a way to emulate it so that all games would be visible and playable in the list. Some are downloadable but we won't get into that.

Here is the emulator = 52 8B 44 24 0C C7 00 01 00 00 00 8B 54 24 10 8B 44 24 14 31 C9 89 0A 89 08 89 48 04 89 48 08 88 48 0C B8 01 00 00 00 5A C3

Highlight the emulator code above and copy it to the clipboard, return to ollydbg, close the modified window and return to our asm. Right click - Search for - Label in current module, this will display a window with names of functions in steam and we are wanting 2 in particular. SteamIsAppSubscribed & SteamIsSubscribed. Double click SteamIsAppSubscribed and you will be taken to a new block of code, look at what is highlighted "PUSH EBP". Click and hold on this line and drag down highlighting at least 14 lines - right click - binary - binary paste.
Do exactly the same for SteamIsSubscribed.

Step 5 - Saving
Right click - Copy to Executable - All modifications - Copy All.
Right click the new window - Save File - Ok - Yes.
Saved!

And there we have it! A nicely cracked steam.dll
Methods may be a bit different to what you are used to, but it gets the result.

Hey it works! ^^ thanks... but when i try to install a game... it dont works! Steams says i should try it in a few Minutes!

There is no fix for "The Steam Servers Are to Busy" The only way to install them is to get the needed gcf's Check the GCF thread. :D

omfgerror2.png

Any idea what this is about?

Edit: I restored the old .dll and it still gave me the error. So I renamed steam.cfg to blah.cfg and it loaded fine. But it updated, for some reason. I hadn't modified any of the files except steam.dll but it had been restored. So I don't know why it does that.