New Steam Hardware Survey Online

Now Reporting Monthly Trend Data

December 12, 2008 - Valve, creators of best-selling game franchises (such as Half-Life and Counter-Strike) and advanced technologies (such as Steam and Source), today announced the re-launch of its long-running hardware survey produced via Steam, a leading online platform for the distribution and management of PC games with over 15 million accounts worldwide.

The new version of the Steam Hardware Survey tracks hardware adoption behavior by collecting data on a monthly basis directly from computers running Steam. Today's re-launch of the public survey results includes data collected since June of this year, and reveals adoption trends from the past six months. The results are now updated on a monthly basis and allow readers to view specific reports of interest.

The survey was first conducted in March of 2004, when Steam made its commercial debut with the launch of Counter-Strike: Condition Zero. Since then, Steam has collected data from over 8 million PCs. In addition to allowing individual gamers to compare their computers to those of the community at large, the Steam Hardware Survey has become an industry touchstone, providing valuable insight for companies across the software industry.

For more information or to view the survey, please visit http://store.steampowered.com/hwsurvey

More...

that's tight, but when they check your pc they do actually see if you have stolen games or anything related, tahts why i didnt let them check mine, im not saying i have stolen games, i just dont trust bots to be checkin up my pc you knoww

They don't check while you do the survey, i doubt if they check at all until you connect to an online server.