1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Steam Updating Problems

Discussion in 'The Chat' started by MrLinuxGuy, November 13, 2007.

1. MrLinuxGuy

MrLinuxGuy New Member

Hello Everyone, Contrary to what you might think, I am actually going to suggest methods to try and get steam updating properly on your PC. Two weeks ago I was also having the '28% problem' as I dubbed it. I found out several steps that could help you:

1. If you have a router, use it. I was using a direct PPPoE connection from PC to modem, and it never worked. The second I used my router, what did I get? 100%
    2. Close any other programs downloading (yes, that includes MSN or AIM). I think Steam likes to restart the update if it looses packets, or if packets don't come.
    3. I would like to know if it is possible to 'package a clean version of updated Steam. If there is positive feedback from this community on this, I will try and get a nice clean, updated version of Steam onto the web, in the hopes that Steam will not require you to update.

Hope this helps!

2. thedeamon

thedeamon New Member

Strange , i'm getting the same on my new XP x64 install as well.

28% loop, I thought it is a bug with x64 version of steam.

I own a legit Orange Box , purchased few days back & I can't play it cause Steam fails to update. Runs in loop.

I have ADSL Router.

3. Renegade89

Renegade89 New Member

When you do a clean install of Steam it updates 0-28% to create certain files, the 29-100% is creating the Steam.dll and/or SteamUI.dll file(s). I'm not 100% sure but you could try copying the files from another computer or somene who has them working could send them to you.