Valve is buying out mods?

Status
Not open for further replies.

.ISO

FS Member
Here is something really interesting i saw while going threw RiN:

PeJpepiG said:
Wasn't sure if I should post this in Main Forum or in Off-topic....
Few day ago I found these new "games" in the CDR:
Code:
   1. 17500 - Zombie Panic! Source
   2. 17501 - ZPS Client
   3. 17505 - Zombie Panic! Source Dedicated Server
   4. 17510 - Age of Chivalry
   5. 17511 - age of chivalry content
   6. 17515 - Age of Chivalry Dedicated Server
   7. 17530 - D.I.P.R.I.P. Warm Up
   8. 17531 - diprip_mod
   9. 17535 - D.I.P.R.I.P. Dedicated Server
  10. 17700 - Insurgency
  11. 17701 - InsurgencyBase
  12. 17702 - InsurgencyContent
  13. 17705 - Insurgency Dedicated Server
afaik these "games" are source mods?
Did Valve "buy" these mods, like they did with other mods before, or did I just miss something?

DISCUSS NOW!

Well we will see it in future what valve is going buy up and so. But I dont think they are going to buy a Zombie mod, because they got their own zombie game.

NEWS FLASH:
Valve did not buy these mods, they adapted them to the "steam network" in Friday's Update news.
Is it really nessesary?

Valve has released a new news post revealing exactly which modifications will be getting Steamworks support, and best of all, it begins next week!

As a part of our continuing efforts to support the MOD community, we will begin hosting selected MODs directly on Steam starting next week. The first five MODs to ship on steam will be Age of Chivalry, D.I.P.R.I.P., Insurgency, Synergy, and Zombie Panic. As always, owners of any Source game will be able to download and play all of these MODs for free.

Once installed, these MODs will appear in your "My Games" list and will receive automatic updates just like other games on Steam. Also, these MODs now take advantage of Steamworks, which provides stat tracking and tighter integration with the Steam community.

We're excited to see MOD developers get wider recognition for the hard work they have done, and we hope to support more MOD teams in the future. Watch for the official release next week!
Age of Chivalry aims to be the first mod to take advantage of a big version release from the modifications new Steamworks access. Version 1.2 of the mod will be released over Steam on October 2nd.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back